Divorce Flow Chart
A very useful and simple guide to the process of divorce set out in a very easy to understand flow chart below. You can also download the divorce flowchart as a PDF.
The ground for divorce
- The marriage has irretrievably broken down
A party needs to demonstrate this by providing 1 of 5 facts
- Unreasonable Behaviour
- Desertion for 2 years
- 2 years separation with the other parties consent.
- 5 years separation (without consent)
- A Divorce Petition is prepared stating some background information and the reasons for the divorce.
Divorce papers are completed and filed at Court
- The Divorce Petition and the supporting payments are filed at Court and the present fee is £550
Acknowledgement of service
- The other party then receives copies of the divorce papers. An Acknowledgement of Service Form is then filed at Court
- A Certificate is obtained from a Judge to confirm that there is an entitlement to a divorce and a date is set for a Decree Nisi (the Interim Divorce Order)
- This is the final Divorce Order and can be applied for 6 weeks and 1 day after the Decree Nisi
This is the process for an undefended Divorce. The vast majority of Divorces are undefended and are dealt with on the papers without the need for anyone to appear at Court unless directed by the Court otherwise.
The timescale for an undefended Divorce is usually 6 months.
CALL US FOR MORE ADVICE ON 01625 544 650